Written by Kristin Mansky of Modish & Main
Add some ambiance to your spring and summer festivities with these easy-to-make DIY wine bottle tiki torches.
Raise your hand if you’re officially over any sign of winter weather and are ready to embrace everything that spring and summer has to offer. (Me, Me!!) We’ve had a pretty intense rainy season here on the west coast and with all our recent sunshine I’m ready to hit the beach for an impromptu gathering with friends and family. Roll out the blankets, set up the charcuterie board, uncork the wine and add some ambiance with these DIY wine bottle tiki torches. They’re incredible easy to make, keep the unwanted bugs away with the citronella and create a cozy element with the crackling flame.
When I moved to California from Wisconsin over 10 years ago it was 100% because I was craving sunshine. I love any opportunity to head to the beach and even better when I can bring a group of friends along where we’ll kick back, soak up some rays, share stories over glasses of wine and just embrace the leisure lifestyle of the west coast. I’m already thinking ahead that this may be just what I want to do for my birthday this summer. Take away any pressure for some big party and let everyone unwind for an afternoon at the beach and light up my tiki torches as the sun begins to set.
The best part about this DIY project is how easy the tiki torches are to make! You can make 3 of these in less in than 30 minutes with the proper supplies and no technical skills are required (who doesn’t love that!).
- Empty wine bottle(s)
- 12-14” tiki torch wicks
- Brass bottle mount(s)
- Spool of 1/2” thread seal tape
- Citronella tiki torch fuel
- Pouring funnel
- Glass marbles/gems (optional)
*Note - I used a tiki torch kit which comes with 3 high-quality wicks, 3 brass mounts and 3 lamp covers.
- If planning to use glass marbles, place these in the bottles first. They are aesthetically pleasing and help reduce the amount of tiki torch fuel needed.
- Next, in order to create a tight seal between the brass mount and the wine bottle, you’ll want to apply a layer of thread seal tape to the mount. Simply begin by wrapping around the area just below the middle divider until you’ve achieved a tight fit. (The tiki torch kit provided 3 rubber rings to achieve this, but I found that it needed still a little bit of the sealing tape to make it fit snug.)
- Then thread the wick through the brass mount and leave 1/4” inch out the top.
- Using a small funnel, carefully pour the tiki torch fuel into the wine bottles. Leave room at the top for the wick.
- Insert the wick and secure a snug fit. Let sit for 1-2 hours to allow for the wick to become saturated with the fuel. This will enable you to quickly light the tiki torch when needed.
Don’t forget to bring some essentials for a beach picnic, small gathering or even a party! You’ll want to pack some large blankets, any extra throw pillows and blankets you having laying around, 3-5 tiki torches, a few bottles of crisp Murphy-Goode Sauvignon Blanc, and a selection of edible goodies like sourdough bread and an array of cheeses, crackers, Italian meats, olives and a bushel of grapes. Keep the fare light, as most people will just continue to snack throughout the day.
Love this simple, fun DIY project? PIN IT to save for later or share it with your friends now!