DIY Ugly Christmas Sweater Wine Bottle
Heading to a fun, festive holiday party this year? Give the gift of a DIY ugly Christmas sweater for a wine bottle.
We’ve probably all gotten the invite to an ugly Christmas sweater holiday party at one point in time. It has become a fun way to celebrate the season and definitely brings about a lot of laughs with who can wear the most gaudy, flamboyant ugly Christmas sweater. Sweaters are often adorned with holiday characters or dressing for the Christmas tree like tinsel, ornaments and bows galore. Since we firmly believe that it’s improper to show up to a party without a gift for the hostess, what better to go to a ugly sweater party, than to bring the host a DIY ugly Christmas sweater for the wine bottle!
What I love so much about this DIY project is that you quite literally can’t go wrong. Get the sweater trimmed and fitted for the bottle and then let your creative side come up with a festive, ugly sweater for a wine bottle that everyone will be excited to receive. No serious knitting or sewing skills required and you could even use a hot glue gun on certain material if needed. Have fun with it, break out all those ugly bows or ornaments and let your ugly sweater skills fly.
DIY UGLY SWEATER for a WINE BOTTLE
- Cable Knit Sweater
- 24ct Multi-Color Mini Glass Ball Ornaments
- 3’ Tinsel Garland
- Holiday Ribbon
- Yard + Thread
1. Lay the cable knit sweater on a flat surface. Place the wine bottle on the sleeve of the sweater and using a scissors, cut off the sleeve leaving room on the top (which is the wrist area of the sweater) to fold over and trimming 1 inch below the base of the bottle.
2. Turn the sleeve inside out. Thread a large need with yarn. Doing a simple “in & out” pattern, thread the bottom of the sleeve.
3. Turn the sleeve back around. Using a smaller needle and a piece of thread that is similar to the color of the sweater you will stitch the beginning of the tinsel to the bottom of the sweater. Carefully wrap it around the sweater, but don’t pull tight to leave for the expansion of the sweater with the wine bottle in it. Apply another set of stitches to the top of the sweater at the other end of the tinsel. Trim off any excess tinsel.
4. Using the same thread, stitch a row of mini ornaments one-at-a-time along the tinsel. Trim and tie off. Do this for all 4 levels of tinsel.
5. Grab a piece of holiday ribbon, approximately 12-16” in length, and tie a bow around the neck of the wine bottle. This will keep the ugly sweater from falling down.
You can never go with giving the gift of a goode wine and a great option during the holiday season is a big wine like Murphy-Goode Cabernet Sauvignon from Alexander Valley. It’s ready to pour for family dinners and although big in flavors, it sips nicely. It’ll be a nice surprise for the host once they unwrap their ugly sweater.
Love this wine DIY? Share it with your friends or PIN to save for later.
Written by Kristin Mansky of Modish and Main