Grilled tri-tip is a fan favorite at any California BBQ. With this recipe we hope to share a taste of the golden state with the rest of the country. We've even elevated ours with a homemade cabernet BBQ sauce that's so good you'll want to bottle it.
Grilled Tri-Tip with Cabernet BBQ Sauce
4 pounds beef tri-tip
For the dry rub:
- 1/4 cup smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
For the Cabernet BBQ Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Trim meat of excess silver skin or unwanted fat and set aside.
- Thoroughly combine spices for dry rub and spread evenly over meat.
- Place seasoned meat in a large resealable bag or in a covered container.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours (up to two days).
- Remove meat from refrigerator 1/2 hour prior to cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a large sauce pot, add butter and onion. Saute onion until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add ketchup and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and reduce by half.
- Remove from heat and carefully puree in blender.
- Add water, if necessary, to adjust to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pass mixture through a strainer and cool.
- Place tri-tip on preheated grill.
- Once meat has reached desired doneness, remove from heat and baste with barbeque sauce.
- Allow grilled tri-tip to rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice meat against the grain.
- Add more sauce if desired and season to taste. Serve with ciabatta rolls.