Grilled Italian Sausages with Onions and Sweet Peppers
- 2 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced fine
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced fine
- 1/2 cup zinfandel
- Pork casings (approximately 8 feet)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 small yellow onions,
- peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 8 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
- Kosher salt
- 8 hoagie buns, toasted
- Whole grain mustard
- Combine the pork shoulder, pork fat, salt, pepper, fennel seeds, rosemary, garlic and Zinfandel in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Grind the mixture and stuff into pork casings.
- Tie the sausages into 6-inch links.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill sausages on both sides until done (approximately 4 to 5 minutes per side).
- Toss the onions and peppers with olive oil and season with salt.
- Grill until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from grill and chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
To serve: Place sausage in a toasted hoagie bun. Top with onions, peppers and whole grain mustard. Serves 8.
Pressed for time? Pick up 3 pounds of quality Italian sausage instead of making your own.