Have you cleaned your bbq yet? No? Well, now you have an excuse to do so. I am going to show you how to make this super sticky, super spicy, and delicious Honey Chicken Breast with Grilled Sticky Sambal and Veggies, if it doesn’t scream “I am ready for summer” I'm not sure anything else will.
I am a huge fan of sambal oelek; it’s full of flavour and has a nice level of heat that it isn’t extreme. It’s also quite versatile and you can use it as a rub, as a sauce, or even as a marinade. In this dish I mixed it with a bit of honey to bring in the whole “sweet and spicy” factor. When you grill this combo things get smoky and sticky and that’s what makes it delicious, all those crispy bits…yuuuum.
This chicken breast is also one of those dishes that you can whip in a few minutes when people show up at the door unexpectedly.
The wine that I chose to pair with this sambal breast is Murphy-Goode’s Sauvignon Blanc which is quite acidic and crisp, totally perfect to cool down your palate. I find sauvignon blanc becomes the staple for summer bbq parties, so it’s a no brainer. Extra brownie points go to Murphy-Goode for using a bottle with a twist cap which are super handy when you head to the park to bbq with friends and you forget the wine opener (happens ALLLL the time).
Ok friends, go get that barbie shining because we are about to make a feast!
Honey Chicken Breast with Grilled Sticky Sambal and Veggies
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup sambal oelek
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Veggies of your choice (I used sweet peppers, green onions, and red onions)
- Fresh rosemary
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by marinating the breasts. Place sambal oleic, honey, apple cider vinegar, oregano, and garlic in a bowl, whisk until honey dissolves. Toss the breasts in there and coat them. Let them marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Slice your veggies, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken breasts in the bbq and grill the veggies.
- Serve on a platter and top with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and a handful or freshly chopped rosemary.
Man, I love simple meals with delicious ingredients. Nothing beats a bbq feast with wine and friends!