This homemade mac and cheese is a family recipe that is a fan favorite. It is a the perfect dish to bring to any potluck!
Homemade Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb. elbow pasta, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (2% fat)
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2¼ cups Asiago cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. white pepper, ground
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain and cool on a sheet pan.
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Stir in enough flour to make a roux and cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly for approximately 4 minutes more to allow the roux to cook, but not brown.
- Stir in cheddar and 2 cups Asiago cheese and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon salt and white pepper.
- Stir well and remove from heat.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl and add sauce.
- Transfer mac & cheese to a greased baking dish approximately 14”x10”x2.5” in size.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, breadcrumbs and ¼ cup Asiago; stir to combine.
- Top the mac & cheese with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.